- If your layover in Australia is over 8 hours, you must have a visa.
- You are not told this while booking your flight.
- I had a 9 hour layover in Melbourne.
- I did not have a visa while checking in for my flight through Australia.
- You can get a visa while checking in for your flight.
So yeah, I now have a visa to visit Australia for the next year. Woo!
When I landed in Melbourne airport with 9 hours to kill, I almost checked out and napped. I almost rationalized it by telling myself "I'll visit Melbourne properly some other time, a few hours isn't enough." You can't always trust your subconcious, your basal ganglia. That is where fear and complacency lives. I only have so many heartbeats, and I don't intend to waste any of them.
Melbourne is really, really, really lovely. The downtown is packed with side arcades, tree-line boulevards, glass skyscrapers, and victorian train stations. And there's new construction all over the place. San Francisco, with it's self-denial around construction, could take a hint or three.
I walked all over the river parks, through downtown, and bought a couple of travel shirts that were on sale that fit wonderfully.